I noted the start date of the peepers in the vernal pool down the lane (March 17) and maybe that’s really the first day of spring. Nicholas and I heard wood frogs too and researched them on-line. Did you know that they quack like ducks and that their hearts stop in the winter and they become hard like little round rocks until spring thaws them out? By now early warm temperatures have the daffodils, crabapples and dogwoods showing away but the most extraordinary thing to watch is the sudden greening of the meadows. I’ve seen various stages of spring during our many trips to the farm but never had the luxury of seeing the ground color change day to day – now brilliant green. Probably the March rains helped. As usual, the SawKill overflowed its banks and created lakes in the meadows.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment